Sunday, December 18, 2011

Abu Dhabi Pro Trials San Antonio


One month prior to the tournament I realized that I needed a game plan. I am usually not one to pull guard, but since I hadn't practiced judo in about a year I knew I was rusty at throws and takedowns. I decided that I would pull open guard right away and bait my opponent into a  choke. This is a choke that I've been practicing for over a year and felt pretty comfortable with.

The result, I fought a total of seven matches. Four in my division (183 lbs), and three in the absolute. I was able to catch 5 of those opponents in the choke, one in a bow and arrow, and I lost my final match to a ref's decision (0-0 points).

My first match was against an opponent from Brasil 021. I didn't really get a chance to talk to him so I don't know too much about him or his school. After we shook hands I immediately pulled guard. He felt pretty aggressive so I baited him and caught him with the choke. He didn't tap and ended up going to sleep. I was't really sure what the proper ettiquite was so I just sat facing away at the edge of the mat till the ref revived him. Total match time was approximately 10 seconds.

Second opponent, I also didn't have a chance to talk to. We shook hands and I pulled guard just like the last match. The whole match looked identical to my first match (he also didn't tap and went to sleep) Total time around 15 seconds.

Third opponent's name was Ray. He trains at a local school, and from what I heard is a very good school with tough students. Ray beat one of my team mates in his last match, but I was able to watch and realize that he had a strong guard. After we shook hands, we both sat to pull guard, and I felt that he wouldn't budge so I decided to go for a pass. I was able to pass but couldn't establish for the 2 points. He was able to recover and eventually got a sweep on me. I felt that I could have defended the sweep a little better but didn't mind too much because he would have to go into my guard. Once I was on my back, I caught him with the choke and forced him to tap. Total time around 2 minutes.

First match in absolute division

Fourth opponent is from Austin I believe. His name was Justin and from watching his other matches he moved really well from the top and bottom. Since I didn't want to stray from my gameplan I pulled guard right off the bat. He felt pretty quick and I knew he was anticipating the choke since I constantly heard his coach yelling  "watch the choke". I used a modified spider guard set up a triangle. Once I shot my hips up, I was able to lock the figure four immediately. I was certain there was no way he could out. I just had to get the arm across his chest, but he stood up and I pulled his way out. I think I was focusing too much on the arm that I didnt put enough pressure keeping him in (lesson learned). Once he got out, He tried passing again. I still kept hearing "watch the choke" so I knew I had to really bait him. I got my grip, let him pass to side control and then locked in the choke. The struggle lasted about 10 seconds but then I felt his body go limp. I turned to the ref and said "I think he's out" and the ref stopped the fight. Total time was approximately 2 minutes.
 
Since this is getting long, I will summarize the absolute division. All three opponents were in the over 202 lbs division, since all the little guys got eliminated the first round. My first match lasted about 15 seconds. I caught my opponent with the same choke and he went to sleep. Second match, My opponent pulled guard. I passed, he turned, I took his back and put him in a bow and arrow. Final match, I pulled guard and began with my attacks. I was unable to sweep or submit him. I felt like he was playing defensively in my guard and didn't really attempt to pass to often. Eventually, time ran out and the decision went to him.

I came real close to winning the all expenses paid trip to Abu Dhabi but came up short. I did learn a lot though and made some new friends. Big props to all who competed. It takes a lot to go out there and give it everything you got. Although it hurts to lose, I learned more from my one loss than I did from the other six matches.



Starting next year, I plan on competing a lot. First order of battle, Houston Open in Feb. Training has already begun. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment