Sunday, January 15, 2012

Won my first tournament at Purple Belt


So I decided to compete this last weekend as a warm up to the Houston Open next month. I knew this one would be a lot smaller so I was hoping to at least get a couple matches in win or lose. At least that was the initial plan. This was the first time I didnt get nervous at all leading up to it.

Once I got to the event I started to feel it a little, but it wasn't till I saw my bracket that the nerves kicked in. I only had 5 people in my division so the need to win instantly came over me followed by butterflies in my stomach. I then realised that no matter how many tournaments I compete in or how high in rank I achieve, I will always get this feeling. It is up to change my perspective and turn the nervousness into excitement. This isnt always easy to do, but I tried.

When they called my division, 2 of the 5 purples had left so we were now down to three. Unfortunately, I got a bye so I would end up fighting the winner of the first match and If I lost I would fight again for Second place.

My opponent was student from Gracie Barra, we talked a little afterwards and we was a real nice guy. He was able to dominate his first opponent for the win and was then alllowed approximately 10 minutes before he fought me.

I came out and pulled guard right off the bat. I went for the super duper but I knew I would have problems because when I watched his last fight, he doesnt like to pass to the side, he like to crawl up to mount. Baiting him wouldnt be easy. I stilled tried and got a sweep out of it and landed in his half guard. I passed and then went for the Aussie choke but was unsuccessful. We went back and forth the rest of the match, I went for a total of 5 chokes and my opponent just wouldnt tap. I was very impressed with his neck and calmness under pressure. The fight went the whole 7 minutes and i won 9-2 points. Here is the video below.


I realise that I have a lot to improve on but thats what will make me better for next month. I also for the first time started playing the clock and points. Well, till next time and thanks for reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment