Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Gis

Right now I own four gis. Vulkan Pro light, Keiko summer weight gi, Shoyoroll Golden State, and Shoyoroll Compadre. All of these gis are white and A3 except the Keiko, which is an A4.

Usually the main problem I have with every gi I have ever bought is the sizing. I am not sure if it is just my body type, but the sleeves are always short. The best company I have gotten so far is the Shoyoroll. My two Shoyorolls are the ones I wear the most. Here is a quick review on each gi. I am more than willing to provide an indepth review upon request.


Vulkan Pro Light Gi:
I have had this gi for about 2 years now and hardly wear it. It is my lightest gi and feels real durable, but I just dont really car for the fit too much. I have however worn the pants a lot. Since I can't wear the Keiko pants I just wear these with the Keiko top.

Pros:
-This gi is very light which was great for the Florida summer.
- Minimal shrinkage

Cons:
- Top is very short. The second I start warm-ups, the gi top comes out from the belt.
- Gi is made for shorter/wider people. The top is also very baggy and the sleeves are a little short for me. A4 is just way too big.



Keiko Summer Weight Gi
I bought this gi about 1.5 years ago. I really like the way Keiko gis look. I have owned 2 other Keiko gis previously but they were A3 and they ended up shrinking too much so I sold them and got this gi in A4.

Pros:
- Light weight top feels great in the summer.
- Top fits me perfectly. This gi is made for tall skinny people.

Cons:
- Pants were HUGE. I have only worn them twice and had to put them in the closet since they look like JNCOs from the 1990s. Not only were they too big, they are also thick and heavy, this is very contradictory to the light top. If the pants were different, I wouldnt mind buying this gi again.


Shoyoroll Golden State:
I didn't really know anything about Shoyoroll prior to getting this gi but my friend bought 2 of these so I bought one from him. This has been one of my favorite gis so far and I have worn it the most.

Pros:
- This Gi also fits me very well.
- Both the gi top and pants are light and were very nice to wear in the summer.
- Pants tore after a year of wear and I used the logo from the gi bag to patch it up which was very convenient and I think it looks very nice.

Cons:
- This gi, as well as every Shoyoroll gi is limited and sells out in the first hour.

Shoyoroll Compadre:
I ordered this gi back in may and just got it late October. Though it was a long wait, I wasn't dissapointed when I got it. This gi fits me better than the Golden state and is much softer. I will try not to wear it out too much though since I plan on wearing it at my tournaments.

Pros:
- Nice weave, and very soft.
- Minimal shrinkage
- Fits my body perfectly. I originally wanted the A3S but I am glad I went with the A3.
- Not the lightest gi but not too heavy for the summer time.

Cons:
- Took 5 months to recieve this gi in the mail after I ordered it.
- The lining in the gi is rough and is a little irritating, but I dont notice it once I start rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment